Getting a credit card can be a big deal. Credit card companies have so many charges and penalties they apply to different payments. Moreover, you also have to decide whether the advantages and rewards they offer are worth the money you’ll have to pay. There are different factors that affect selecting the right credit card, especially for individuals with bad or no credit. Several financial institutions have launched credit cards designed for lifting up your credit. Petal 2 Credit Card is an example of one such credit card.
In this article, we’ll help you determine whether a Petal 2 Visa Credit Card is suitable enough for you or not. We will present you with Petal 2 Credit Card Reviews and everything you need to know about it. We’ll learn about this card based on its features, pros and cons, and everything related to it.
What is a Petal 2 Credit Card?
Petal 2 Visa Credit Card is among the top credit cards that help build a credit score. It is a super affordable card that does not charge any fees. This means you will not have to pay any annual fees, late payment fees, foreign transaction fees, opening account fees, or any other such fee. The cherry on top is that you do not need a decent credit score. Petal 2 does not require you or have any credit score to apply.
Moreover, it will help you lift up your score. However, it does not allow cashing out from the ATM, i.e. cash advance and transferring a balance from different accounts. Therefore, you can say that this card might only be for you to make payments and purchases.
You can however win around 1% to 1.5% cash back rewards but the reward rate of the Petal 2 Card is low. Therefore, it is safe to say that if this credit card has merit, it also has some downsides. This Credit Card will not only help you uplift your credit but is also affordable and rewarding. However, it can only be used for purchases and nothing else.
Furthermore, Petal 2 Credit Card states that there is no credit requirement to apply for the card, but, you will not be eligible if your credit history is dented or damaged. Anyone who has filed for bankruptcy in the previous 48 months will not be eligible or shortlisted. Supposedly you get rejected by Petal 2, and you cannot apply for at least 30 days or a month.
The very first thing you will look into while selecting the Petal 2 Visa Credit Card is its features. Below listed are a few features.
Petal 2 Card charges no extra fees on any payment whatsoever! You will not have to pay annual fees, account opening fees, foreign transaction fees, late payment fees, or any other fees or charges. This makes Petal 2 a very affordable option.
This card will help you build a credit score if you don’t have any. However, a damaged credit history or an individual who declared bankruptcy in the past 48 months is not eligible for application. In case you still apply, you will not be shortlisted and your application will be rejected.
Petal offers some pretty useful money management tools that will help you to build your credit. All the tools can be accessed in Petal’s application. This application can be operated on your mobile. It offers account management, tracking your spending, payments alerts, account balance, etc.
Zero Liability Protection
It offers to cover any loss that takes place due to theft or unauthorized payments. The transactions are all monitored, so you know where and when the card is being used. You will be notified if Petal 2 detects anything suspicious. Additionally, if you lose or your credit card gets stolen, you can lock your card and request an emergency replacement.
There are three major credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Their main operation is to evaluate your activity and credit reports and determine your credit score. It sends your credit reports and activity to all three major credit bureaus. Thus, Petal 2 Credit Card will always keep your credit reports updated. Moreover, you can track your credit report and score using the Petal 2 Credit Card mobile app.
The card promotes contactless and faster payments. You can swipe your card but other than that, you can make any payment just by tapping your card on the receiver’s machine.
If you make all the payments on time and use your Petal 2 Card wisely, you can increase your credit limit after six months. However, before you get an increase, your credit card will be properly checked.
Cashback, welcome bonuses, and rewards are the best part of using any credit card. However, not all cards offer tips. But it is not one of them. It does offer rewards to some extent. At the initial stage, you will earn a 1% cash-back reward on all of your purchases. You must consistently manage your Petal 2 card properly and make all the payments on time for six months. Doing so will increase the cash-back rate to 1.25% after six months.
After twelve months of wisely using your card and making payments on time, this reward cashback percentage will increase to 1.5% on all purchases. Not only this but on selective merchants, you can even earn larger cashback. These rewards will be ranging from 2% to 10%.
Fees and Annual Percentage Rate
No extra charges are applied to your foreign transactions, late payments, no annual fees or account opening fees, or any other fee of such sort. Clearly, Petal 2 is very affordable with no fee. However, if any default in payments occurs or you do not make payments on time, your card will be frozen until you complete the payment. Therefore you will not be able to use it. Above all, this will be added to your credit reports and will be informed to the three major credit bureaus.
Every month your credit card payments become due. If you did not pay the monthly due amount on the due date, you will be charged extra interest on the entire amount due. This interest is already mentioned in Petal 2 Visa Credit Card terms and conditions. The minimum annual percentage rate is 16.74%. However, it can increase up to 30.74% depending on the amount.
Another thing you need to know is that there is no balance transfer or cash advance fee charged because this credit card does not allow transferring your balance or using a Petal 2 card to draw cash from the ATM.
A credit limit is the maximum amount that you can spend using your credit card. This credit limit allows you to spend more than the sum available in your account if the limit is higher and visa versa if the limit is lower. Everyone wants a higher credit limit because this means you can spend more money.
However, a higher credit limit has another benefit too. It helps you build good credit. The more money you take out and then make regular payments the stronger your credit score will be and so will your FICO.
The initial credit limit of your Petal 2 Visa Credit Card is around $300. But you can increase your limit up to $10000. Every six months, your credit report is reviewed and if everything is well and good, you will be given an increase in the credit limit. But how to ensure that your credit report comes out well? Here’s how:
- Make sure you pay the entire amount due.
- Make all the payments on time.
- Track all your transactions.
- Keep a record of all your money spent.
- Use your Petal 2 card wisely.
- Track your credit score regularly.
Pros and Cons
One thing that attracts a potential client to get a Petal 2 card is the advantages it offers to you. Everyone likes a deal full of several pros or advantages. Here are some pros:
- This card is unsecured, therefore you do not need to put down any security deposit.
- You do not need to pay an annual fee, late payment fee, account opening fee, or any other fee of such sort.
- You get up to 1% to 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- 5% to 10% cash back on selected merchants.
- You can get the card even if you have no credit history.
- The credit limit goes as high as $10000.
- Petal 2 reports to all three major credit bureaus.
- Zero fraud liability and emergency card replacement.
- The credit limit increases every six months.
If you commit to a credit card, you must know all its aspects. This means, if you know the advantages Petal 2 Visa Credit Card will offer, you must also know the disadvantages coming with it. This will help you determine whether or not the Petal 2 Card is worth it. Below is a list of cons:
Not all cards are suitable for you because not everyone expects the same thing and not all credit card companies offer the same schemes. Likewise, Petal 2 may not be suitable for everyone. So, who is it suitable for?
- If you are a student and have a source of income as well, you can opt for Petal 2 Credit Card. It is quite affordable and easy to access. Since you are a student, it will help you build a credit score while you will also earn cashback.
- If you are someone who uses credit cards specifically to win rewards, this card may not be suitable for you. It only offers 1% to 1.5% rewards on all purchases and no extra bonus or reward points. You probably should look for alternatives because the reward rate of the Petal 2 Visa Credit Card is quite low.
- This card will be suitable if you hate credit card fees and charges. It does not charge any type of hidden fee, fine, or penalty.
- If you have no credit score and want to build one, this credit card will work well for you.
How to Apply for a Petal 2 Credit Card?
The application for Petal 2 Visa Credit Card is not straightforward. You will have to undergo pre-approval or pre-qualifications first. The pre-qualification procedure is quite simple and only takes a few minutes.
Basically, in the pre-approval process, Petal will evaluate the information you provide and perform a soft credit check. Then, it will determine whether you can only apply for Petal 1 or Petal 2. Or, it will let you choose between the two. (Petal 1 has different terms as compared to Petal 2)
If you passed pre-approvals, you can proceed further by properly filling out the application. The pre-approval will make clear whether filling out an application is worth it or not. This is because when you properly apply, Petal will perform a hard check and it will knock off some points from your credit.
You can apply for this card through the official website itself. The final application form is easy and simple to fill out. Once you fill out and submit an application, all you have to do is wait for approval.
Alternatives for Petal 2 Visa Credit Card
Not sure if Petal 2 is a good choice for you? Here are some alternatives to Petal 2 Credit Card that might be more suitable.
Discover it Secured Credit Card
Discover It Secured Credit Card is a great alternative to the Petal 2 card. It helps in building your credit. The card does not charge any annual fee. Moreover, you get around 1% to 2% rewards and cash back when you pay using this card. However, you will have to put down a security deposit of around $200–$2,500. Other than that, the Discover it Secured card does not waive all the other charges, you might have to pay a balance transfer fee, late payment fee, etc. Although the security deposit is high, the rewards, cash back, and welcome bonuses cover it.
- You can earn around 1% to 2% in rewards, cash backs, and welcome bonuses.
- You do not have to pay any annual fee.
- No foreign transaction fee charges.
- Welcome bonus includes doubling your cash back in the initial first year.
- Increase your credit score.
- Reporting to all three major credit bureaus.
Citi Double Cash Card
Citi Double Cash Card has its name because it doubles the cash back. You win 1% when the purchase is made and an additional 1% after the completion of payment. It is most suitable for anyone who loves earning cash back and rewards. Other than this, you will also earn thank you points which can be deposited into your account or spent as it is. You can even transfer them. One thank you point equals 1 cent.
Along with rewarding benefits, you will also get theft and security protection. However, unlike Petal 2 Card, you might have to pay balance transfer charges, foreign transaction fees, and other similar charges.
- 2% cash back on all purchases.
- 0% introductory APR for 18 months.
- You will not have to pay an annual fee.
- Zero fraud liability is offered.
- Protection from theft and fraud with 24*7 monitoring.
- There is absolutely no limit on the amount of cash back earned.
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
An individual with average credit who loves earning rewards should definitely go for Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card. Although Capital One QuicksilverOne Card charges an annual fee and offers no welcome bonuses, you can still cover up by earning with every spending. This credit card will be a good choice for you if you engage in a lot of spending, or else it will just be a loss for you.
If you have excellent credit, you can win welcome bonuses without paying any annual fee.
- 1.5% cash back on all purchases, unlimited.
- 5% cashback on hotels and rental cars if booked using Capital One Travel Portal.
- Individuals with average credit get qualified.
- The reward rate is high.
- Excellent credit score will earn an introductory 0% APR period.
- You do not have to pay any foreign transaction fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What credit score do you need for a Petal 2 credit card?
Petal 2 does not require you to have any credit score. However, they still have some protocols. Your application will not be shortlisted if your credit history is damaged. Moreover, you will not be considered eligible if you have filed for bankruptcy in the past 48 months.
Q: Is the Petal 2 card legit?
Petal 2 Card is legitimate. It does not charge any fees and even offers cash-back rewards. Petal partnering with WebBank based in Utah and FDIC-insured, state-chartered industrial bank issues this card to candidates with no credit.
Q: What is the Petal 2 credit limit?
Petal 2 offers an initial credit limit of $300. This can be increased if you use your card wisely, make all the payments on time and maintain a good credit report. Your credit report will be reviewed after every six months and if everything is well and good, your credit limit will be increased. The credit limit of the Petal 2 credit card can be increased up to $10000.
Q: Does the Petal 2 credit card require a credit check?
Petal 2 does not require any credit check. First, you will have to undergo pre-approval. The pre-approval will make it clear whether or not you are eligible to apply. Petal will only let you move further with the application if you pass the pre-approval procedure.
Q: What is the difference between Petal 1 and 2?
- Petal 1 is designed for those with bad credit scores while Petal 2 is built for those with no credit scores.
- Petal 1 does not charge any annual fee, but you might still have to pay other charges. Petal 2 does not charge any fee whatsoever.
Petal 2 Credit Card is an unsecured card designed for those with no credit history. It helps you build credit while earning rewards. Petal 2 Credit Card reviews say that if your credit history is damaged or you have declared bankruptcy in the last 48 months, you will not be considered eligible for application. Moreover, you cannot apply for 30 days after you get Petal 2 decision.
This card offers around 1% to 1.5% cash back on all purchases. Along with the rewards, you do not even have to pay a single penny on any fee. That means, no annual fee, no late payment fee, no foreign transaction fee, and whatnot! This is what makes this credit card stand out.
We hope you are now able to make an informed decision after reading the above article whether Petal 2 is suitable for you or not.
- Elizabeth Jones is one of our editorial team’s leading authors on credit card offers, services & more. With over two decades of experience in the consumer credit industry and as a nationally recognized credit expert, Elizabeth provides in-depth analysis of both traditional & alternative forms of credit. Elizabeth regularly appears on many major media outlets including NBC Nightly News, Fox Business Network, CNBC & Yahoo! Finance. She is also a frequent contributor to Forbes Magazine. As a highly appreciated author for our exclusive Editorial Team, Elizabeth strives to provide readers with a trustworthy advice on how to manage their credit accounts while staying informed on the latest offers in the marketplace.
- BlogSeptember 26, 2023How to Block Payments on Cash App: A Comprehensive Guide
- BlogSeptember 21, 2023How to Add Money to Apple Pay: A Comprehensive Guide
- BlogSeptember 20, 2023PayPal Gift Cards: Everything You Need to Know
- BlogSeptember 20, 2023How to Add an Apple Gift Card to Wallet: A Step-by-Step Guide