Phones have definitely made our lives easy. It has got the world at your fingertips. Just with a few clicks and taps you can connect with your loved ones. Especially, it is extremely helpful for senior citizens, because whenever they are stuck in any emergency they can call and ask for help.
But since cell phones are quite expensive, not all seniors can afford them. This is when Lifeline Assistance Program comes into the picture. It is a benefit program started by the U.S. Federal Government. Under this program, the government provides free phones for seniors. In this article, we will discuss the Lifeline Assistance Program in detail. We will cover everything from the eligibility for free cell phones for seniors to the services that offer these phones and how you can get these phones.
Lifeline Assistance Program: Free Phones for Seniors
The Lifeline assistance program was started by the U.S. government. Under this program, they distributed home phones to low-income families. Later in the years 2005 and 2012, the government extended this program and started offering home phones and cell phones to senior citizens.
This is an extremely helpful program for those senior citizens who are already using different government benefit programs and cannot afford to buy a mobile phone. Under this scheme, the household can get either a home phone or a cell phone. Along with this, the senior citizen also gets free talk minutes and free internet data every month.
However, this service is not available to everyone. It comes with a strict qualification criterion. Even if you qualify for the criteria, you will get the phone at the discretion of the phone-providing service. Many free x mobile services like SafeLink free phone and TruConnect free phone work under this program and provide phones to the needful people.
Qualifications For Free Phones
As we told you, free cell phones for seniors are not for everyone. Only people who meet the qualification criteria of this program can get phones for free. Now let us have a look at the requirements for these free phones.
- You must be a citizen of the U.S.A.
- The phone-providing service must be available in your locality.
- Your age must be 60 years or more.
- Your overall household income must be 135% or below the poverty line guidelines as decided by the U.S. federal government.
- You must be availing of one or more of the following benefit programs offered by the U.S. government:
- State assistance programs
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
How to Get Free Phones For Seniors?
In order to get free phones for seniors on social security, first you will need to check for the phone providers in your area. For this, you can go to the official website of the Lifeline assistance program and enter your ZIP code and email address. You will get a list of the services that offer free phones in your area.
After this, you need to go to the official website of the phone provider and fill out the application form. For example, if Illinois provides free phones in your area then you will need to go to the official website of Illinois free government phone and fill out the application form available on their website. If your Medicare free phones for seniors request is accepted by the phone provider, then you will receive the free phone from a registered mail within 7 to 10 days.
Although, the phone provider has all the rights to accept or deny your Verizon free phones for seniors’ request at their own discretion. They do not need to give any reason or justification behind accepting or denying your free phone request.
You must be thinking that under this program, you will only get a free cell phone or a free home phone. But this is not true. In the Lifeline assistance program, you also get the following things:
- Unlimited free internet data
- Unlimited free texts
- Unlimited free calling minutes
Moreover, these offers are not limited. They also depend on your phone provider. For example, if you get a free phone from SafeLink free phone, you will also get other benefits that SafeLink offers like free roaming and a free monthly balance.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Who offers free cell phones for seniors?
Free cell phones to seniors are provided under the benefit program of the U.S. Federal Government “Lifeline Assistance Program”. Here are some of the services that offer free phones to senior citizens under this program:
- SafeLink Wireless
- TruConnect Wireless
- Free X Mobile
Q2. What phones are free for seniors?
Which phone a senior will get mainly depends on the mobile providing service that is giving you the phone. Various mobile brands like Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, etc. partner with these programs to get their phones distributed. Although, here is a list of the phones that senior citizens might get under the Lifeline assistance program:
a) Samsung Galaxy S4, S125G, S390G, T245G, etc.
b) Alcatel Cameo X 4G
c) LG Phoenix 3
d) ZTE Maven 3
e) LG 840G, LG Rebel 4G
f) Alcatel IdealXcite
g) 4G ZTE Nubia Z5
h) Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna pro 5.0
Q3. What are the income limits for free cell phones for seniors?
In order to get a free phone from the government, the income of the household should be 135% or less from the poverty line according to the U.S. Federal Poverty Level guidelines. However, this is not the only requirement for free mobile phones for seniors. They must be availing of other benefit programs as well and their age must be 60 years or more.
All in all, the Lifeline assistance program has been very helpful for low-income households. Under this program, the U.S., government provides free phones for seniors. If you qualify for the requirements of this program, then the phone provider will send you the phone within a week to 10 days via a registered mail service. To avail of this program, you will need to file an online application for the free phone through the official website of the phone provider.
- Elizabeth Jones is one of our editorial team’s leading authors on credit card offers, services & more. With over two decades of experience in the consumer credit industry and as a nationally recognized credit expert, Elizabeth provides in-depth analysis of both traditional & alternative forms of credit. Elizabeth regularly appears on many major media outlets including NBC Nightly News, Fox Business Network, CNBC & Yahoo! Finance. She is also a frequent contributor to Forbes Magazine. As a highly appreciated author for our exclusive Editorial Team, Elizabeth strives to provide readers with a trustworthy advice on how to manage their credit accounts while staying informed on the latest offers in the marketplace.
- BlogSeptember 26, 2023How to Block Payments on Cash App: A Comprehensive Guide
- BlogSeptember 21, 2023How to Add Money to Apple Pay: A Comprehensive Guide
- BlogSeptember 20, 2023PayPal Gift Cards: Everything You Need to Know
- BlogSeptember 20, 2023How to Add an Apple Gift Card to Wallet: A Step-by-Step Guide