Credit cards are all the rage these days. They have really made our lives easy. Now, whenever we go out, we do not need to worry about carrying cash, we can just swipe our credit card. In this write-up, we are going to tell you about some of the best credit cards for fair credit. So if you are someone with a credit score of 300 to 700, this article is for you. We will also discuss other things, like how you can boost your credit score and factors that you must consider while getting a credit card. So let’s get started.
Best Credit Cards for Fair Credit
In this section, we are going to tell you about some of the amazing credit cards for fair credit that you can easily get. So, let’s have a look at our list of cards.
1. Discover it Student Credit Card
Our Rating: 4.6/5
Discover it Student credit card is one of the best credit cards for fair credit. It gives you 5% cash back on selected necessary things like groceries, fuel, etc, and 1% cash back on everything else. If you are a student, then you must go for Discover it Student Chrome credit card. It will help you save a lot of money in your college life. You also get 0% APR for the starting 6 months and double rewards for the first year.
- No annual fee
- Zero foreign transaction fee
- Cashback match as a welcome bonus
- Rewards and cash backs
- 0% APR for 6 initial months
2. Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa
Our Rating: 4.4/5
Hands down, Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa is the ideal credit card for fair credit holders. Do you know what the best thing about this card is? It is a low-maintenance card, there is no annual fee, late fee, as well as foreign transaction fee. And if you have a fair credit score then you can get a credit limit of up to $10,000. You get 1% cash back on all your spending and up to 10% cash back on some selected merchants.
- No security deposit is needed
- Cash backs up to 10%
- Fast credit reporting
- The annual fee is zero
3. Capital One QuickSilver One
Our Rating: 4.1/5
Capital One QuickSilver One gives you 1.5% cash back on all your purchases. Not just this, but you also get 5% cash back if you book your hotels and rental cars from some particular merchants. Capital One QuickSilverOne is a great card for building your credit. If you have a fair credit score of 500 or above, you can easily get this credit card for fair credit.
- You get 1 to 5% cash back.
- Zero fees on foreign transactions.
- Penalty APR is not there.
- You do not need SSN to apply for this credit card.
4. Credit One Bank Wander Card
Our Rating: 4.1/5
If you are a “wanderlust” person then this wander card is perfect for you. It gives you big rewards, cash back, and discounts on your flight bookings, hotel bookings, car bookings, and fuel purchases. Not just this, but you get 1000 points as a welcome bonus and you can use these points in the 3 initial months of owning the card.
- You can get up to 10% cashback.
- $100 as the welcome bonus.
- You do not need a good credit score, even fair credit would get you this card.
- Extra cashback for some merchants.
5. Capital One Platinum MasterCard
Our Rating: 3.8/5
The good part is, it is a MasterCard, so it is accepted by more merchants than any other card. So you would not have to worry if the card would be accepted or not. Capital One Platinum credit card is perfect for credit building and since it is an unsecured card, you will not have to pay a security deposit to get this card. Also, there is no annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
- Zero fees on foreign transactions.
- Zero annual fees.
- You can apply for a credit limit increase just after 6 months.
- They provide tools to track your credit score.
6. Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards
Our Rating: 3.9/5
If your preference is fair credit credit cards with a high credit limit then you can definitely go for the Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards credit card. It provides you with 3% cash back on all the necessary purchases like fuel, groceries, and other daily use things. You also get 1% cash back on all the other purchases that are eligible for this cashback.
- Good rewards and cash backs.
- Zero annual fees.
- You get all the benefits of a premium visa with this card.
- One of the best credit cards for fair credit holders.
7. Mission Lane Visa Credit Card
Our Rating: 3.5/5
In case, your credit score is a bit below average then you can get use the Mission Lane Visa Credit Card. You can get this credit card with a credit score of as low as 300 points. If you have a good credit score then the annual fee on your credit card would be zero but if it is on the poor side then you might have to pay an annual fee of up to $59.
- Good for credit building.
- You can get this card with a fair credit score.
- You can apply for a credit limit increase after the initial 12 months.
- The annual fee is low for good credit holders.
8. Milestone MasterCard
Our Rating: 3.0/5
If you are looking for credit cards for fair credit just to improve your credit score then we will suggest you go with Milestone MasterCard. They also provide you with zero fraud liability. So, in case you become the victim of monetary fraud or identity theft, you would not have to bear the losses and Milestone will pay for all your losses.
- Do not need a security deposit.
- Since it is a MasterCard, it is accepted by several merchants.
- Good for decent credit holders.
9. OpenSky Secured Visa Credit Card
Our Rating: 3.3/5
Where other cards come with a regular APR of 27 – 30%, the regular APR of the OpenSky Secured Visa Credit Card is just 21.14%, so you will have to pay less interest on this card. But since it is a secured card, you will have to pay a security deposit, which can be up to $2,000, depending upon your credit score. You can easily get this credit card for fair credit, even if you have a zero credit score history.
- Low APR.
- You can get this credit card even with no credit history at all.
- You can later upgrade this card.
- Helps you save money.
10. Avant Credit Card
Our Rating: 3.2/5
It is an unsecured credit card, so you will not have to pay any security deposit to get this credit card. Though the annual fee might be high for some people. If you forget to pay your credit card bill on time then you will have to pay a late fee of $39. When you use this card properly, it will give a good boost to your credit score.
- Helps in building your credit.
- They do not conduct a hard inquiry into your credit history.
- It is a good card for people with a fair credit score.
- Immediate reporting to the credit bureaus.
What is Fair Credit?
Fair credit is a credit score between 300 to 700. But it may differ from company to company. Some credit card companies consider a credit score of 300 to 669 as fair, whereas, other companies consider a credit score of 580 to 770 as fair. It is recommended to have a credit score of at least 500 to get credit cards with a reasonable credit limit and interest rate. If your credit score is bad then you will have to pay higher interest on the card and your credit limit will also be low.
Which Credit Cards Can I Get With a Fair Credit Score?
Since your credit score is fair and not bad, you can easily get both, secured and unsecured credit cards. There are several credit card companies that provide secured credit cards for fair credit people and then upgrade them to unsecured credit cards, as they improve their credit score and pay the bills on time.
You can also go with cards like Milestone MasterCard and Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa, which are unsecured credit cards for fair credit people. Here you will not have to pay a security deposit to get the credit card.
How to Choose the Best Credit Card for Fair Credit?
You can follow the given tips to get the perfect credit card for fair credit.
1. Secured Card or Unsecured Card: What Do You Want?
First of all, decide which card you want to go with, a secured card or an unsecured card. So be clear with the basics that you will have to pay a security deposit for a secured card and there is no security deposit for an unsecured card.
2. Credit Score Needed
Have a look at your credit score and then the required credit score of the credit card companies. See which company can offer you a credit card with the credit score that you have.
3. Compare Interest Rates
Compare the interest rates and other fees of the credit card that is grabbing your attention. Do not blindly fall for a low-interest rate, check other fees and hidden fees as well. Many credit card companies give credit cards at low-interest rates but their other fees like the annual fee or late fee are very high.
4. Check Ratings and Reviews
Before making your final call, make sure that you check the ratings and reviews of the credit card you are planning to go for. There are many fraud companies in this market now and you should be cautious enough to not fall for them.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the range for fair credit?
A credit score between 300 to 700 is considered fair credit. But it may differ from credit card company to company. Some credit card companies consider a score of 300 to 600 as fair, whereas other companies consider a score of 550 to 750 as fair.
Q2. What are the easiest credit cards to get with fair credit?
Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa, Credit One Bank Wander Card, Capital One Platinum MasterCard, and Discover It Student Credit Card are some of the easiest credit cards to get with a fair credit score. You can also check other cards as per your needs and requirements.
Q3. Which banks offer credit cards for fair credit?
Many banks like Bank of America and CitiBank offer credit cards for fair credit holders. You can call on the customer care number of your bank and ask them if they offer a credit card. It is obviously easy to manage if your savings account and credit card belong to the same bank.
Q4. Why can’t I get subprime cards with a fair credit score?
You cannot get a subprime card with a fair credit score because these cards are only given to people with good credit scores.
In this article, we took you through some of the best credit cards for fair credit. You can easily get credit cards like Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa, Credit One Bank Wander Card, Capital One Platinum MasterCard, or Discover It Student Credit Card with a fair credit score. But make sure that you check all the important things like the company’s reputation, interest rate, fee, rewards, etc. so that you only get your hands on the best card.
- Elizabeth Jones is one of our editorial team’s leading authors on credit card offers, services & more. With over two decades of experience in the consumer credit industry and as a nationally recognized credit expert, Elizabeth provides in-depth analysis of both traditional & alternative forms of credit. Elizabeth regularly appears on many major media outlets including NBC Nightly News, Fox Business Network, CNBC & Yahoo! Finance. She is also a frequent contributor to Forbes Magazine. As a highly appreciated author for our exclusive Editorial Team, Elizabeth strives to provide readers with a trustworthy advice on how to manage their credit accounts while staying informed on the latest offers in the marketplace.
- BlogSeptember 26, 2023How to Block Payments on Cash App: A Comprehensive Guide
- BlogSeptember 21, 2023How to Add Money to Apple Pay: A Comprehensive Guide
- BlogSeptember 20, 2023PayPal Gift Cards: Everything You Need to Know
- BlogSeptember 20, 2023How to Add an Apple Gift Card to Wallet: A Step-by-Step Guide